What: The City of Laredo Health Department is hosting a ribbon-cutting ceremony for its new Dental Clinic that provides dental care for patients of all ages and will serve as the primary clinical training site for two newly established dental residency training programs based in Laredo.
When: 9 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 20
Where: The Dental Clinic is located at 2600 Cedar Avenue
Who: Dr. Hector F. Gonzales, director of the City of Laredo Health Department, will provide the welcoming remarks. Other officials invited to take part in the ceremony include:
* City officials: Mayor Raul G. Salinas, City Manager Carlos R. Villarreal and Deputy City Manager Cynthia Collazo.
* Webb County Judge Danny Valdez
* State elected officials: Sens. Judith Zaffirini from District 21 and Richard Raymond from District 42, and Rep. Ryan Guillen from District 31
* Leaders from The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio:
Dr. William L. Henrich, interim
president, and Dr. William W. Dodge, vice dean of the Dental School
* Dr. Louis Garcia, UT Health Science Center assistant professor and director of the Dental Clinic and the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency program.
* Dr. Minerva Garcia, The Lamar Bruni Vergara Trust Distinguished University Chair in Oral Health at the UT Health Science Center and director of the pediatric Dental Residency Program.
The Dental Clinic is a partnership between the City of Laredo Health Department and the UT Health Science Center. The UT Health Science Center Dental School provides training for its dental residents at the Dental Clinic through two residency programs, the Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency Program and the Pediatric Dental Residency Program. Through this local training, dental care is also being provided for Laredo's uninsured and unmet dental care needs, especially at-risk children.
Support has been provided by the City of Laredo, the University of Texas Health Science Center, Health and Human Services Commission, the A.R. "Tony" and Maria J. Sanchez Family Foundation and Methodist Healthcare Ministries.