|Become a Member!
Lawndale Members at the Household ($100) Level and above are now receive North American Reciprocal Museum benefits at over 675 institutions nationwide!
Visit our website to become a member today!
Visit our Flickr page
for images of current and past exhibitions!
| Support Lawndale
Lawndale Art Center is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and relies on individual donations and memberships, along with government and foundation grants to support annual exhibitions and programming.
2013 Big Show
Scene 74 - Fear through the Eyes of Madness, 2013
Acrylic on canvas
36" x 48"
Black Veil Brides, 2013
Paper maché and mixed media
6'3'' x 4'2'' x 8'7''
24'' x 36''
THE BIG SHOW 2014
July 11 - August 9, 2014
Opening Reception Friday, July 11, 2014
6:30 - 8:30 PM
Awards announced at 7 PM
The Big Show is Lawndale Art Center's annual open-call, juried exhibition. It has been an important venue through which emerging and under-represented Houston area artists gain exposure since the show's conception in 1984. The Big Show was formerly the East End Show, sponsored by the East End Progress Association, at Lawndale's original location.
Each year Lawndale Art Center invites a guest juror to select from work submitted by artists living within 100 miles of Houston. Artists are invited to bring up to three works of art, not previously shown in Houston, to Lawndale Art Center where the work is juried on-site for a chance to be included in the show and a shot at one of three cash prizes.
Entries and Eligibility
- There is a $30 submission fee for up to 3 entries for all non-Lawndale Art Center members. Members receive $5 off the cost of entry.
- Works in all media completed during 2012-2014 will be accepted.
- The exhibition will be juried from actual work.
- Open to all artists living within 100 miles of Lawndale or in the following counties: Angelina, Austin (county), Brazoria, Brazos, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Polk, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, Waller, Washington, Wharton.
- Artists are limited to three (3) entries. All entries must be submited together on the designated drop-off dates.
- Only original works are eligible. Works publicly exhibited in Houston, created in art classes, or copies of works will be disqualified.
- Works that are not stable enough to endure the exhibition will be disqualified and are not insurable.
- Work must fit through the 81" x 59" entrance to the building and be able to be reasonably moved by the artist and volunteers.
- Fragile works, such as drawings or photographs, must be framed or securely mounted under glass or Plexiglas, or delivered in a protective carrier.
- All works must be ready for installation upon submission. Do not submit work which is not ready to handle (i.e. wet paintings or work without hardware).
(hand deliver work to Lawndale):
Monday, June 23, 2014 - 11AM - 7PM
Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 10AM - 5PMNotification:
Only artists who have work accepted for the exhibition will be notified by telephone on Friday, June 27, 2014 by 6PM.Pick Up Dates
(for work not selected for the exhibition):
Monday, June 30, 2014 - 10AM - 5PM
Tuesday, July 1, 2014 - 10AM - 5PM
Click here to download the entry form!
Please note, this entry form is formatted to be printed one-sided. Forms will be available on drop-off dates, but artists are encouraged to fill out their paperwork prior to delivering work to Lawndale to expedite the submission process.
Erin Elder, Visual Arts Director
Santa Fe, NM
Erin Elder is the Visual Art Director of Center for Contemporary Arts in Santa Fe. Prior to taking this post in 2012, she worked as an independent curator, writer, and teacher for over twelve years, cultivating interests in experimental collaboration, sense of place, and expanded notions of culture. Her research has focused on counter-cultural education and art practices, with particular interest in those activities happening in the 1960s American Southwest. Her writing has been published by University of Minnesota Press, University of Houston Press, Proximity Magazine, and more. She has produced projects with a variety of institutions including Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, Württembergischer Kunstverein, Creative Time, the Center for Land Use Interpretation, International Symposium on Electronic Arts and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver. She is a visiting lecturer at numerous schools and universities and has served as juror or reviewer for many international forums. Since 2009, she has cooperatively run PLAND, an off-the-grid residency program near Tres Piedras, NM. Erin holds dual self-designed BAs from Prescott College, and an MA in Curatorial Practice from California College of the Arts. She has been to Houston twice before and was very, very impressed.
The Big Slide Show
Wednesday & Thursday, July 30 & 31, 2014
Join Lawndale and Houston's talented Big Show artists for short, informal presentations about their work. Presentations start at 6 PM each night at Lawndale Art Center. Come early as seating is limited.
Be a Big Show Sponsor
Your generosity provides funding for Lawndale's many free programs and directly supports artists all year. Your financial support also helps to cover Big Show expenses such as the production and printing of the catalogue, the juror's honorarium and cash awards for the artists.
To find out more about making a donation, please download our Donor Packet, contact us at 713.528.5858 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many thanks to our Big Show 2014 sponsors!
as of June 17, 2014
Scott R. Sparvero
Felvis Foundation / David R. Graham
Patterson & Murphy Public Relations
H. Irving Schweppe Jr., M.D.
Cindy & Larry Burns
Romayne & Bill Cox
Tim Kollatschny & Stephen Goldberg
Victoria & Marshal Lightman
Jeryn & Walter Mayer
H. Russell Pitman
Nicole & Joey Romano
Limor & Stuart Smith
Sara & Philip Beck
Minnette & Peter Boesel
Richard E. Fluhr & Rudy Hernandez, Jr.
Maria Christina Jadick
Ben & Caroline Jansen
Jenny & Mark Johnson
Sara & Philip Beck
Liz Anders & Asscociates
Julie Farr & Bob Lordi
Tracey & William Meyer
Anne & Joe Romano
Misty Barnett Trahan & Chris Trahan
Marilyn & Terry Brooks
Christine & Ramon West
Whole Foods Market