What: Kumamoto En Day in Celebration of Children's Day in Japan and in support of Japan relief efforts
Visitors can explore the finely crafted structures and many symbolic features of the Kumamoto En garden and celebrate the day with traditional Japanese arts, crafts, gardening demonstrations and Japanese entertainment, presented by theSan AntonioBotanical Garden and Japan America Society of San Antonio.
When: Saturday, May 7th
Where: San AntonioBotanical Garden
Activities and demonstrations 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Children's Art, Craft and Game Activities on ground in front of Kumamoto En JapaneseGarden:
* Paper "Kabuto" Japanese warrior's hat making * Japanese Children's Game
* "Uchiwa" paper fan making * "Koi Nobori" Flying Carp coloring
* Instant Japanese Lesson * Mini "Ikebana" flower arrangements w/plastic flowers
* Paper "Koi Fish" making
Japanese Arts Demonstrations and Sales- All proceeds will be donated to Japan Disaster Fund
* Origami folding paper art demonstration & lessons
* Shodo Japanese Calligraphy - write name in Japanese
* Assorted Japanese items for sale
* Teaching of Japanese garden care
* Guided Tour of Kumamoto En JapaneseGarden
* Photos with Japanese models in Kimono at Kumamoto En Japanese Garden
* Demonstration and performance of Kendo and Iaido Japanese marshal art
* Japanese Song and Dance Performance near Water Fountain & Wisteria Arbor
* JASSA information desk—Volunteers of JASSA
* Kamishibai Picture Storytelling
Spring Plant Sale 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Hundreds of spring plants expertly cultivated by the San Antonio Botanical Society Plant Team of Volunteers will be on sale. Regional varieties and “water-saver-friendly” plants will be featured.
The Botanical Garden is located at 555 Funston at North New Braunfels Avenue
and is operated under the auspices of the City of San Antonio Department of Parks & Recreation.
The Garden is open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. year-round except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. For more information, the public can call 210-207-3250 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 210-207-3250 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or visit www.sabot.org.