September, 2010Gardens by Moonlight at the San Antonio Botanical Garden is truly one of the city’s most popular annual music festivals as well as romantic date evenings. On Saturday, September 25, Gardens by Moonlight guests will hear a variety of music while dining on delicious gourmet food as they explore the 33 acres of the Botanical Garden. Visitors are encouraged to bring their own lawn seating to relax in front of the five stages and enjoy a full evening of live musical performances including Latin rhythms, jazz, rock ‘n roll and Texas music.
Central Market will offer a gourmet culinary menu available for festival-style purchase. Beer, wine, soft drinks, water and Starbucks beverages will also be sold. (No outside food or drink allowed.)
All five stages will offer musical performances throughout the night. At 9:15 p.m., concert-goers will gather on the Concert Lawn to hear the unforgettable vocals of headliner Raul Malo.
Guests are encouraged to purchase $15 advance tickets by September 24 online at www.sabot.org, at area Starbucks locations or in the Garden Gate Gift Shop at the Botanical Garden. Tickets may be purchased at the gate for $20 each as early as 6 p.m. Credit cards can be used for tickets, but only cash is accepted for food and beverage. Botanical Society members enjoy discounted admission of $15 and early
6 p.m. admission.
The music line-up for this year’s Gardens by Moonlight offers national talent and local favorites. Detailed biographies available on a separate document.
· Raul Malo shot to stardom as lead vocalist with the Grammy-winning 1990s band the Mavericks. The Gardens by Moonlight headliner will take the Main Stage at 9:15 p.m. His performance offers a blend of rock ‘n roll, country and salsa rhythms drawn from his brand-new album, Sinners & Saints.
· Made up of nine extremely talented musicians, Colaó is a local favorite. This popular Latin Jazz infusion band will perform 7:30 – 9:00 p.m. in the Garden’s amphitheatre where there is plenty of room to party and dance!
· The jazz stage, sponsored by KRTU Jazz Radio, offers the sounds of the Mission City Hot Rhythm Cats beginning at 6:00 p.m. This recently formed band is comprised of some of the best jazz musicians in the San Antonio area and promises to keep the Fountain Plaza alive with jazz standards.
· Described as “Austin rockers on the cutting edge,” Deadman will be staged on the picturesque East Texas Piney Woods cabin porch on the lake. The band’s enticing music will echo across the water, inviting guests to stroll around the lighted lake path to see this band up close. (7:30 – 9:00 p.m.)
· Rosie Flores will rock the Main Stage early in the evening, starting at 6:15 p.m. for Botanical Society members and continuing til 8:00 p.m. so everyone can enjoy the show. San Antonio's own "rockabilly filly" offers energetic vocals and fiery guitar solos. Flores recently appeared on The Tonight Show singing with Los Lobos.
· Inside the glass walls of the Lucile Halsell Conservatory, guests will be entertained by the sounds of Latin Guitar Jazz from 7:15 til 9:00 p.m.
All the beauty of the Botanical Garden is available during Gardens by Moonlight. “As music fills the air, guests can wander through the unique areas of this vibrant San Antonio landmark,” says Bob Brackman, director of the San Antonio Botanical Garden. “Visitors can experience each area of the Garden including the exotic plant displays and Albert Paley’s sculpture installations in the Lucile Halsell Conservatory, the eight whimsical and contemporary creations of the Playhouses and Forts exhibit, and the natural landscapes of the Texas Native Trail. Gardens by Moonlight is a perfect night out, whether it is with friends, family or a special someone.”
Proceeds from Gardens by Moonlight benefit the San Antonio Botanical Society, the non-profit support organization for the San Antonio Botanical Garden. Botanical Society members enjoy daytime admission-free visits to the Garden year-round as well as other perks such as discounted tickets ($15) and early admittance to Gardens by Moonlight. Family memberships start at $65. More information is available at www.sabot.org/?nd=members.
There will be free and ample parking at the Garden all along Funston Street. Additional overflow free parking will be offered at the Brackenridge Parking Facility, next to the Witte Museum at Tuleta and Avenue B. Frequent shuttle service from the overflow parking area to the Garden will be available starting at 6 p.m.
Gardens by Moonlight is a Marsha Milam Music Production.
Sponsors for Gardens by Moonlight include NuStar Energy Corporation, Office of Cultural Affairs, Shiner Family of Beers, Starbucks, Central Market, Culligan Southwest Water, Time Warner Cable, KRTU Radio, San Antonio Express-News, Allegra Print & Imaging and San Antonio Parks & Recreation Department.
In case of inclement weather, a rain date is set for Sunday, September 26. Tickets are non-refundable.
Located at 555 Funston at North New Braunfels Avenue, the San Antonio Botanical Garden is operated under the auspices of the City of San Antonio Department of Parks & Recreation. For more information, the public can call the Garden at 210-829-5100 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 210-829-5100 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or visit its website at www.sabot.org.