Faith-Based and Community Leaders Invited to Provide Input at Task Force Meetings
The Task Force for Strengthening Nonprofit Capacity will facilitate public hearings throughout Texas to gather recommendations on strengthening the capacity of faith-based and community organizations (FBCOs) providing services to Texans in need. The hearings will address what is working well for FBCOs, what challenges exist for them and what suggestions they have to improve their abilities to service the citizens of Texas. The hearings will be held as follows:
- Houston Public Hearing:
Monday, March 29, 2010
10 a.m. – noon
United Way of Greater Houston, Community Resource Center, Auditorium at 50 Waugh Drive, Houston
- Dallas Public Hearing:
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
10 a.m. – noon
Center for Community Cooperation, Oak Corner at 2900 Live Oak Street, Dallas
Purpose of the Hearings
The Task Force has been working with the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) and OneStar Foundation to facilitate public hearings throughout Texas on FBCO capacity building needs. Representatives from state agencies, nonprofit organizations, academia, foundations and other individuals who have expertise in nonprofit capacity building and FBCOs are encouraged to attend these hearings and provide input. The Task Force will apply the information gathered during these hearings to develop recommendations for the 82nd Texas Legislative Session.
Task Force members would like to hear oral testimony from FBCOs during the public hearings. Time will be limited to five minutes per speaker. There will also be a question and answer session with Task Force members.
Due to the time limit on oral testimony, participants are also encouraged to provide written in addition to oral testimony. Written testimony may be provided in lieu of oral testimony.
People unable to attend any of the public hearing sessions may submit written testimony until mid-April through HHSC. For information on how to submit written testimony and other public hearing questions, contact Anna McElearney at email@example.com or (512) 287-2026.
FBCO Topics of Interest
Topics of particular interest to the Task Force members and other state leaders are:
- Funding opportunities: How do you receive funding? How are you alerted to grant opportunities? Have you ever applied for a federal, state or local grant? If so, what was that experience like, and what are your recommendations for improvement? If not, what are the reasons funding has not been sought from governmental entities? What do you need to improve access to funding opportunities?
- Volunteer recruitment: How do you recruit and utilize volunteers? Is it successful? How do you measure your volunteer program’s success?
- Challenges and suggestions for improvement: What are the challenges you face as a faith-based and community organization? Examples could include partnering with local, state or federal governments; applying for grants; impact of reimbursement processes from funders; volunteer recruitment; or collaborating with local partners.
- Impact: How do you measure your impact and communicate your effectiveness to board members, grant funders and other stakeholders?
- Other: What else would you Task Force members to know about your needs that will help you serve the citizens of Texas?
For More Information
For more information about the Task Force public hearings, contact Anna McElearney at firstname.lastname@example.org or (512) 287-2026.